Saturday, May 22, 2010

Not Penny's Boat


In case you haven't heard, the television series called "Lost" is nearing its end. Sunday marks the last episode. I. Can't. Wait.

My interest in Lost very much mirrors Jack's character trajectory from "Man of Science" to "Man of Faith". I was very skeptical of the show at first. It looked like it could be interesting, but I figured it probably was good in the way people think shows like CSI are good. Good for a cheap thrill but nothing more. My wife and I started by watching the first 3 seasons on dvd a few years back. I enjoyed the show, was addicted, but didn't afford it more status than simple popcorn entertainment. We waited for season 4 to come out on dvd, and struggled a bit through season 5 online during the whole time-shifting saga. I was a little weary of Lost and wasn't sure if I would continue on. But that's when I discovered the online community around the show and I had a Jack-like transformation to "Man of Faith". Theories, episode recaps, hidden meanings...oh my. Yes, this was what I was looking for.

And the ultimate transformation of all was going from basically watching on demand by dvd or online streaming to the week-to-week grind of sitting by the television set, positioning the rabbit ears (in Canada we still have over-the-air television reception), and taking each episode in along with the rest of the rabid fan base. People often have difficulty making this transition, but I now much prefer it. After watching the episode I eagerly await the episode recaps, the crazy new theories, instant reactions, and all the other glorious content waiting to be consumed at the water cooler that is the internet. It's a much more rewarding viewer experience. It engages in a much different way than coming to a show after it has finished and consuming every dvd in rapid succession, pounding out 4 or more episodes a night until you're completely through the show. This method also has its merits. You notice trends and remember details you might not have if the viewing was stretched across many years. But I do regret not going through Lost on a weekly and yearly basis. Definitely one of the most vibrant online communities I've come across.

Here's hoping Sunday's episode rewards all us Losties for our engagement in a real cultural phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment